Wednesday 18 June 2008

Budget Revisions, here I come!!

After the pity-fest yesterday, feeling a lot better. Work's still "how the fuck are we going to get this done by the end of the week" madness but at least it feels like it's finally moving in the right direction.

Got the second finance presentation out the way FINALLY so now can actually concentrate on "proper" work instead of arguing with people on what they should really be doing. At least this time, it was for the Country Management Team and the Admin staff so reception was a lot better and hugely more understanding. Unsurprisingly, I suppose. Still got a mite annoyed by our ACD systems flatly contradicting something that I'd only put in at the firm insistence of his loggy which basically made me look stupid and unprepared. Unfortunatley, I got defensive rather than just taking the high ground in response but there's presenting in French for you - my presentation skills have regressed to my teenage years. Or at least that's the argument I'm sticking to.

Otherwise, it went well. And what's even more fantastic is that I managed to upload about a third of our revised budgets into our system AND the templates that I then updated with this info worked just as I told! OK, this may sound rather sad to be so excited at a template or a system doing just what it's supposed to do but given my extremely frustrating to the point of surreal comedy experience to date with anything relating to software, did a little happy dance in my chair [don't worry, everyone else in the office had already left so haven't damaged what's left of my credibility]. Of course, it'll probably all go to pot tomorrow morning...

What was quite humbling today was to discover the dedication of my team. Due to stress and what I saw at pretty elementary and stupid errors on some of the work I gave them to do, I do forget how willing they are to be abused by me. I was pretty sharp with JF today and felt really bad when he stayed on until 7.30pm to finish the piece of work I gave him to do. And the others also stayed until 5pm or later today (offices normally closes at 3.30pm). God, I really don't deserve them.

Anyway, just wanted to reassure people that I'm not about to throw myself off a cliff just yet. Have a bit more work plus dinner to prepare and Cuba to start packing for so will end here.

Or here.

No comments: