Saturday 19 July 2008

Pics from Cuba and Engagement Blues

Well, here I am having a lazy evening of it - should get off my arse and actually have a think about what I want to do with the 5 days of leave I have in August for my [gulp] 29th birthday. New York? Dominican Republic? Miami again? Bum Fuck Nowhere? Whatever it is, it' going to be a somewhat depressing experience: one more year closer to the grave. One more year without a mortgage. Or any idea of what I want to do with my life.

Or boyfriend. Grrrrr....

Just found out this morning that two ex-colleagues whom I worked with in Lebanon have just got engaged. To say that this blindsided me would be somewhat of an understatement - I was practically choking on my corn flakes. Would have been a rather embarrassing trip to the hospital, have to say. I had absolutely no clue when I was there that there was anything between them. Of course, now I look back, they did spend a lot of time together and obviously liked each a great deal but [whiny voice] I thought they were just good friends... In my defense, she's an extremely vivacious Lebanese in her forties who could have her pick of guys, and he's a 25 year old blue-eyed American. I always thought she saw him more as a younger brother but shows you how much I know. OK, I admit it: unless I stumble across them in flagrante on the National Director's desk, I'm pretty much oblivious to these things. Now I've got this image in my mind - noooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!

Anyway, to celebrate singletonness, here are some pics from Cuba. This is from a boat trip that we took near Santa Clara to get to a restaurant (the things we do for food) and later a waterfall:




And these are some kids who were determined to pose for me next to the Che Guavara monument. Soon afterwards when they discovered the (pretty crappy) video facility that I have on my camera, they all started showing off their somersauts and wrestling moves. Pretty impressive, actually.


And here's "typical" street scene in Trinidad, a city on the south coast of Cuba where we spent most of our holiday. Trinidad is picture perfect as cities go and pleasingly laid back. We stumbled onto a carnival on our first night which was crazy. Made us realise that 8 year old girls can move their hips better than we could. Yeah, but can they manage a EUR6m budget spread across 22 projects? Methinks not...

This has gotten me into a pic upload/holiday mood. Think will upload those Haiti pics.

No comments: