Friday 17 October 2008

Budget cuts...

It's an official holiday here in Haiti and am in the office reading through an email sent by HO on our 2009 budget.

I'm in shock.

I knew that things were bad in Ireland, not to mention the rest of the world, and that funding is going to be hugely affected as a result but I didn't think it would be this bad. Our unrestricted budget is now cut by almost half - this would be cutting our already stretched 2009 budget by almost 20%.

I feel like crying... There's so much need in this country and the projects we were proposing to do would be less than a drop in that ocean. But now, not being able to do that - it's fucking heartbreaking. From a selfish point of view, it would probably also mean significant staff costs, and these are people who I've grown close to and who have often worked for us for a number of years.

Oh fuck it. I'm getting drunk tonight.

No comments: