Friday 8 February 2008

8th February - By the light of the silvery ...

Writing this by torchlight – our inverter in the flat has crashed out and have no electricity for the second night running. Jack’s done the sensible and sociable thing and crashed our neighbour’s flat downstairs but I’m feeling far too tired to do the pretty. I actually don’t mind the lack of electricity – it reminds of holidays and exotic places. And with my MP3 player behind me and a strong lantern next to me, it has that cosy cocoon-like feeling that’s quite soothing after a pretty long day.

That’s not to say that I won’t welcome the return of power tomorrow (insha’allah) – this would probably get old very quickly...

It struck me yesterday when talking to Jack how quickly time has gone by. Jack has only another week left and has basically blocked off next week to concentrate on his handover notes. Leaving me in charge. [Gulp.] I suppose I’d been thinking of him as a security blanket – someone to turn to whenever I don’t know what the hell I’m supposed to be doing (ie most of the time) and to think that he’s not going to be there much longer scares me. On the other, feeling a bit more centred – a bit more aware of what’s going on. Had a meeting with the Country Director this afternoon which made me realise that I do know what I’m talking about and I can improve things in this organisation. I may have a crap memory and be rather scatter-brained but I can still do the job. I hope.

I realised I’ve been here nearly three weeks already and spent most of that time in the office and home – really haven’t explored the place or found out much about the country I’m in. Where I’m living, it’s so easy to think that I’m in some gorgeous mountain village in the south of France which just happens to be populated by mostly black people – this is to the extent that I’m continually surprised when I remember that I can’t walk around at night or take public transport wherever I wish.

Been reading this book called “Bonjour Blanc” – basically the well-written ramblings of a journalist who spent 4 months in Haiti. It was written a few years ago so when Haiti was a lot more unstable than it is now, to a scary extent from the sounds of things. Anyway, there’s a lot of incidental but fascinating tidbits that the author mentions: such as how Haiti helped Simon Bolivar win independence for Venezuela in the 1800s on the conditions that should he get to power, he would free all the slaves in his country and recognise Haiti who was a bit of a pariah state back in the day. Also, how the expression “OK” comes from the phrase “Aux Cayes” (Cayes being a port city in the south of the country) that used to be stamped on shipments of Haitian rum that made its way to New York docks. Whereas other shipments had to be checked for quality, it was apparently well known that the goods “Aux Cayes” were, well, “OK” (sorry, couldn’t resist).
I like stuff like that – once I find some time to breathe, would love to find out more stuff – I mean, I can’t know any less about the place. Need to find a proper bookshop here and get out more. Mmmmnnhh. Weekend round the corner....

P.S. Found out that I will have to share the flat with this Asian girl for a few months. Not really looking forward to it but it’ll probably be good for me. And it’ll be nice if we actually get along to have someone to have late night conversations on the balcony.

No comments: