Monday 11 February 2008

Go Egypt!!

Had a pretty good weekend - made Jack go into the office yesterday to talk to me about filing (poor thing) but hopefully made up for it by taking him out to this astronomically expensive French restaurant with Karishma, my in-coming flatmate. The bill for the three of us came to a ridiculous $175. Right, need to start watching my wallet.

As for today, spent the morning moving furniture around and feeling well chuffed with the result. Here is the main room of my flat:



Still needs a bit of work ie a rug, paintings, bookcases, cushions etc but I reckon it's just about livable for the mo...

The rest of the day was spent watching Egypt beat Cameroon for the African cup (Egypt did deserve to win but I did feel rather sorry for Cameroon in the end - afterall, not entirely sure how Egypt can really qualify as "Africa") and walking aimlessly around Petionville. While meandering around the place, I had a number of Haitians ask me if I was alright which was a lovely thought - they're obviously not used to seeing a "blanc" walk around obviously purely residential (not to mention "non-blanc" areas). For those of you who know me and are mystified - a "blanc" is any foreigner. Apparently, they even call African-Americans "blanc"!


Not feeling particularly inspired to write more so here is a picture of the front of my block of flats:


And a peek at the street where I live:


There are worse places to live, on reflection.

No comments: