Tuesday 22 January 2008

19th Jan - Enroute to Miami, (not so) Nice...

I’m currently writing this on the plane – 3 hrs into what looks like a 10 hr journey. Definitely looking forward to a day in Miami, though chances are that I’ll be so exhausted that I’d probably stay in my hotel and watch crap American TV and sleep. Actually, that’s looking pretty good...

As predicted, got no sleep last night after getting back from my second week’s induction. Due to a BA plane crash landing into the runway, all the flights from Dublin to London were delayed. Me, being the selfish person I am, thought immediately how the delays would cut into my final packing/panicking stage instead of feeling for the passengers and crew who were involved (I’m such a lovely person). Luckily, the airline booked me onto an earlier flight which basically left the same time my original flight was due to leave – although that meant I spent the whole flight worrying that my baggage would be sent on the wrong flight and making bargains with Him Upstairs. This is what it takes to bring out the spiritual in me. Needless to say, I haven’t been keeping my side of the bargain but hoping that, if He actually exists, He does his job and forgives me.

This always always happens to me: it’s always the last minute. I literally stopped repacking between suitcases an hour before the taxi was due to arrive. I managed to get everything I needed done but Van is going to get a rather filthy room. What’s more important (sorry Van), is that I never have time to really say goodbye to my home and my area. I mean, this is probably going to be the last I’ll see of my home for a year, and to think that the last sight I have of it is a hurried check to make sure I haven’t forgotten anything while the taxi waits downstairs. There was a definite lump in my throat when the taxi was pulling away – if I was less tired, there really would have been tears.

At this point in time, I’m actually dreading getting to Haiti – I really am. It’s been such a hectic few weeks with getting ready to leave and packing that I feel like I need a holiday to really recover and get my perspective back. The last 2 weeks, especially, have been such a mad rush that it hasn’t really hit me. And that really worries me – I mean, if I’m not excited about the new job at the very beginning, that really doesn’t bode well for the future. Also, as a complete introvert, I’m dreading the whole initial social round where I have to spend any leisure time I have going out with people and making a good impression – especially as they all look like complete party animals. I can do it for short periods of time but I just find it so draining... Note to self: next time, I will insist on a couple days vacation before starting work – preferably someplace where I don’t have to talk to anyone.

As for the induction, it was like most inductions: not particularly useful except for meeting people and getting an idea of who to contact when necessary. It was pretty light so managed to almost finish my tax return and sort out various other admin type things. There was one session that really stood out, though – it was the one on stress management. Truth to tell, I was rather sceptical about it but it was really helpful. Actually convinced me to go get a yoga DVD and do breathing/stretching exercises. However, had the same thought about bellydancing before going off to Lebanon and we know how that turned out…

Another good upside to the induction this week was meeting the other inductees. In terms of overseas staff, not one of us were actually white – in fact, I was the only one from a developed country. I really like that – the sort of third world to third world linkages that you get. Despite being in this job, maybe even because of it, it’s so easy to stereotype and to pre-judge – you find yourself doing it all the time.

Feeling a bit better now, so maybe after a good night’s sleep and a bit of a movie/shopping therapy tonight, I’ll feel different and a lot more energized. Here’s to the consumerism that made America great!

No comments: