Tuesday 22 January 2008

I feel good - I knew that I would! (sort of)

Beginning of my second day here and am typing this while watching the sun rise over the most spectacular view of verdant mountains and the sea. Feeling a lot better and actually optimistic about the day ahead. This is the view from my balcony at 5.30am. Eat your hearts out, suckers:


In terms of living, as you can see, I basically lucked out majorly. I’m currently sharing the flat with the outgoing Country Accountant, a Kenyan called Jack, who had agreed to stay for another month to deal with reporting and year end. Not to mention handover... I know, I’m extremely lucky. The team, from what I’ve seen of them, seem fine – no obvious sociopathic tendencies – and people have basically been friendly and welcoming.

However, when I got home last evening, and while Jack was off at the gym, I was curled up on my bed feeling miserable and very very alone. I’d had a headache all day and found it more difficult than usual to focus and project the crucial positive first impression. I was also feeling so completely out of my depth and hadn’t really found anyone to connect with. But then I forced myself to start unpacking and once I got all my stuff out (including my stuffed toy Totoros – goodness knows what the cleaner thought of them), I felt a huge lot better. With all my familiar stuff around me, I felt more in control and more grounded – more able to cope. And after a great Chinese meal out with Jack where we discussed what to do today and some other issues, I felt even just a mite optimistic.

And people think pregnant women have mood swings...

No comments: